This healthier version of the classic Peanut Butter Blossoms made with whole wheat flour taste just as delicious as the original!
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water (can sub 1 egg)
- 1/2 cup natural salted peanut butter*
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (can sub regular butter)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (can sub all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 23 chocolate kisses (I love dark chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 1 large or 2 regular cookie sheets with parchment paper or a Silipat. Make sure you have about 23 unwrapped kisses ready to go.
- Mix together ground flax and water in a small bowl for “flax egg.” Set aside to gel.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together peanut butter, butter, and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined. Roll dough into smooth 1-inch balls (I used a cookie scoop) and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. No need to flatten.
- Bake (one cookie sheet at a time) for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake for one more minute. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
*If using unsalted peanut butter, add 1/4 tsp salt to the recipe.
GLUTEN FREE: If you’re looking for gluten free cookies, I’d recommend these Peanut Butter Cup Cookies!