- 2 cups dry whole-wheat pasta shells or elbow macaroni
- 1 cup frozen peas
- For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp flour (I used whole-wheat pastry flour)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- In a medium or large pot, bring water to a boil and add good pinch of salt. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add butter or coconut oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together milk and flour, then add to pot along with remaining sauce ingredients. Whisk to combine. Cook for a couple minutes or until heated through, whisking frequently.
- Meanwhile, microwave the peas for one minute and set aside.
- Toast walnuts in a small pan over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until fragrant and browned. Once browned, pulse in food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Strain pasta and add back to pot along with the sauce and peas. Stir to combine. Pour into an 8 x 8in casserole dish and top evenly with toasted walnut crumbs. Serve!