Vegan 100% whole grain Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pomegranate! Soft, slightly chewy, and no chilling required.
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil (not melted)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg (sub 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water for vegan version)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour* (or all purpose flour, spooned and leveled, NOT packed)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils**
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Course salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- If using a flax egg, whisk together flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, beat coconut oil with the sugars until creamy (for me this took about 2 minutes). Add vanilla and egg (or flax mixture) and beat for 15 seconds, or until just incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. The dough will look a bit crumbly but should form nice balls when you touch it (see photos for reference). Stir in chocolate chips and pomegranate by hand.
- Roll dough into 16 balls and place on cookie sheets. Bake pans, one at a time, for about 11-13 minutes. Do not over bake! They will look a bit underdone in the middle. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes to set up, sprinkle with salt, and dig in.
*It is very important not to put the measuring cup into the flour bag because it will result in too much flour and dry, stiff, cookies. Instead, lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. Whole wheat, whole wheat pastry, and all purpose flour all work here.
**If omitting pomegranate, you can add 1/4-1/2 cup more chocolate chips.