Vegan 100% whole grain Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pomegranate! Soft, slightly chewy, and no chilling required.
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil (not melted)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg (sub 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water for vegan version)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour* (or all purpose flour, spooned and leveled, NOT packed)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Course salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- If using a flax egg, whisk together flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, beat coconut oil with the sugars until creamy (for me this took about 2 minutes). Add vanilla and egg (or flax mixture) and beat for 15 seconds, or until just incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. The dough will look a bit crumbly but should form nice balls when you touch it (see photos for reference). Stir in chocolate chips and pomegranate by hand.
- Roll dough into 16 balls and place on cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Bake pans, one at a time, for about 11-13 minutes. Do not over bake! They will look a bit underdone in the middle. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes to set up, sprinkle with salt, and dig in.