You will most likely have all the ingredients in your pantry to make this lightly sweetened Cherry Vanilla Granola. Feel free to swap whatever dried fruits, nuts and seeds you have on hand. Vegan and gluten-free!
- 4 cups rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (can sub dried cranberries or raisins)
- 1/2 cup puffed or crispy brown rice cereal
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, chopped almonds, pecans, pepitas, coconut, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the applesauce, maple syrup, water, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Stir until combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and stir until all the oats are well coated. Spread the mixture evenly over the two baking sheets.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven, sprinkle over the dried fruit and rice puffs. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month or longer.