This lightened-up Broccoli & Mushroom Breakfast Strata is a hearty and DELICIOUS breakfast! It's great for a crowd and is made ahead of time for easy morning prep. (Prep time does not include 8 hours of sitting overnight.)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 crowns broccoli, cut into florets
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 heaping cups cubed bread (stale is best, I like sourdough)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Spray a 9x13in baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and saute for 5-7 minutes, or until softened. Add broccoli and mushrooms and sauté for another 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and another pinch of salt and sauté for 3 more minutes. Place vegetables in a strainer to drain liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, yogurt, cream cheese, Dijon, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of cheese. Add bread cubes and veggies and toss to combine. If mixture is dry, add a splash more milk.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and flatten with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for 8 hours.
- Remove from fridge and place on stove to warm up while oven preheats to 350F. Bake for 55 minutes. Sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup cheese and bake for 5 more minutes or until set. Let stand on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Frank's hot sauce!
You can use whatever combination of veggies and cheese you enjoy or have on hand!