The ultimate recipe for Vegan Brownies! Rich, ultra chocolatey perfection to satisfy those classic brownie cravings.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp instant espresso or instant coffee granules
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Kosher salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8 inch square baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
- Stir together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Place coconut oil in a small bowl and melt in microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add almond butter, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil. Whisk until smooth. Add flax mixture and whisk again until combined.
- Add cocoa powder and slowly whisk until shiny, scraping down the sides as needed. Gently spoon flour into measuring cup without packing and level off with a knife. Add flour, espresso powder, and salt to mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula to fold in flour, stopping once the flour is incorporated. It will seem thicker than normal brownie batter (see third picture). Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth with spatula. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool before slicing. Sprinkle with salt before serving if desired. Store brownies in an air-container on the counter.