- 2 small sweet potatoes (1 cup, mashed)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups whole-grain flaked cereal, crushed
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until fork tender. Alternatively, you can microwave pricked sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes. Keep the oven on to cook the burgers.
- Once cool, remove skin and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add drained beans and mash well with a fork or potato masher until well combined (some whole beans is fine, but you want most of them mashed).
- Place cereal in a baggie and crush until large crumbs are formed. Add to bowl along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir ingredients together until well combined. Form into 4 large or 5 medium patties and place on a well sprayed baking sheet. The burgers will be very soft and mushy, and that’s ok.
- Bake the burgers at 400 degrees for 40 minutes (20 minutes per side), very carefully flipping halfway through. The burgers may fall apart a bit when you flip them, so just mush them back together.
- Serve on whole-grain buns with lettuce, tomato and avocado