The easiest Healthy Vegan Queso Dip made with only 5 ingredients. No one will know this healthy dip is dairy free! On the table in 10 minutes.
It's hard to put into words how stupendous this here queso cheese dip is, but I'm here to say that plant based queso is most definitely a thing.
It's one of those recipes that carnivores like just as much if not more than the classic. Kinda like my vegan lasagna, ya dig?
Easy, breezy, beautiful VEGAN QUESO DIP!
How to make cashew vegan queso
I mean it when I say this recipe could not be easier. All you need is a high speed blender or Nutribullet and five easy ingredients and you've got healthy queso you won't be able to keep your paws off.
- Soak cashews in super hot water for 5 minutes.
- Chop your pepper. Add it to the blender with the salsa, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, and drained cashews.
- Blend baby blend! You can serve warm or room temp.
Ingredients and substitutions
The best part about this queso dip is how quickly it comes together. We're talking party app in no time! I know from experience that everyone and their brother will be asking for the recipe.
- raw cashews: I go for raw because they have the most mild, creamy flavor versus roasted. This forms the perfect creamy vegan base.
- salsa: for delish spice, flavor, and liquid to power up our queso. If you like it spicy, use hot. I love chunky medium here. Salsa is the reason we don't need to add any garlic or onion powder. You could also add a splash of hot sauce if you fancy!
- nutritional yeast: for that cheezy flavor without any cheese. You can find "nooch" at any grocery store these days!
- turmeric: optional for color, but super good for you as an added bonus!
- salt: just a pinch of fine sea salt for balance.
Do I need to soak the cashews?
It's best to soak the cashews to ensure they'll soften up enough for the queso to be completely smooth and creamy. That said, if you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix, you could get away with skipping it.
I like to do a quick soak while I get the ingredients together and chop the pepper. Easy peasy!
Is this recipe really healthy?
Yes, totally! It's got a nice dose of healthy brain-boosting fats from the cashew (although it's much lower in fat than traditional queso). Did I mention it's packed with veggies from the pepper and salsa?
Nutritional yeast is also a good source plant protein and energizing B vitamins. I love me some turmeric for antioxidant power!
SO ya, basically it's a salad.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. I wouldn't recommend freezing.
You can enjoy this heaven sent queso room temperature after blending or even right out of the fridge! But my fave way to nosh is warming it in the microwave or on the stove until just hot. Mmmmm!
What to serve with this recipe
- Serve with crunchy tortilla chips or sliced carrots or cucumber.
- Use it as a sauce for roasted broccoli, cauliflower, baked potatoes or burrito bowls!
- Combine with a can of spicy black beans and some spinach, stuff into corn tortillas, top with enchilada sauce, and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
And if you tell me you're gonna just be that person who eats it with a spoon...I'll just be over here like, "Kay, so?"Print
The easiest healthy vegan queso made with only 5 ingredients. No one will know it's dairy free and takes only takes 10 minutes to whip up!
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup medium chunky salsa
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp turmeric (optional but recommended for color)
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with warm water and set aside while you chop pepper.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Place in blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until completely smooth and creamy. Serve at room temperature or warm in a saucepan over low heat until warmed through. You can also microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with veggies or tortilla chips!
Keywords: vegan queso