This epic Vegan Enchiladas with Black Beans and Kale recipe is a creamy, satisfying and wholesome plant-based meal. Kid approved and gluten-free!
For the enchiladas:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1–15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heaping ½ cup chunky salsa (plus more for serving)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 3 leaves of kale, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1–8oz package enchilada sauce
For the cashew sour cream:
- Place 1 ¼ cups cashews (for enchiladas and sour cream) in a medium bowl. Cover with 3 cups of boiling water and allow to sit for 20 minutes or (or overnight in warm water).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Drain and rinse cashews. Place ½ cup of the cashews and the salsa in a food processor and blend for about a minute, or until smooth and creamy. Add beans, pepper, salt, and spices. Process until mixture is combined but has some texture. Add in the torn kale and process just until the kale is broken down.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave for about 15 seconds if needed. Using a 13×9 pan, pour just enough sauce to cover bottom.
- Spoon filling into tortillas, fold them up, and place seam-side down on the pan. If the tortillas break, that’s ok. Once all enchiladas are all next to each other in the pan, cover them liberally with the rest of the enchilada sauce. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make sour cream by draining and rinse remaining ¾ cup cashews. Blend in high speed blender or Nutribullet with water, lemon juice, and salt, adding more water if needed. Drizzle on enchiladas and serve with avocado and salsa.
- Filing can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw before using.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.