A deliciously heart vegan burger packed with broccoli cheeze flavor!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets (1 medium head broccoli), finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot
- 1–15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp oat flour (or ground old-fashioned oats)
- 1/4 cup whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed (if you’re not vegan, you can use 2 eggs instead)
- 1 heaping tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and sautee for 7 minutes. Add broccoli and garlic and sautee for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add carrot to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add in cooked veggie mixture, chickpeas, oat flour, bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, flax or eggs, salt, and pepper. Pulse until well-combined, but not mushy. It should still have texture.
- Form into four tightly packed patties. It may help to wet your hands. Place patties on a plate lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (I did an hour).
- Return pan to burner over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or add additional oil for cooking the burgers. Once hot (the pan should sizzle), cook patties for about 4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Serve on whole grain buns or spinach with hummus or desired condiments.