Easy Vegan Banana Bread that's perfectly sweet and moist and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! Tastes like classic banana bread mom used to make and is healthy, simple, and packed with whole grains. The only banana bread recipe you'll ever need, vegan or not! Everyone asks for the recipe and it freezes great.
I've always been a gigantic banana bread girl. Who in their right mind doesn't adore banana bread? I cannot comprehend.
With all the vegan recipes around these parts, it was high time to add a solid vegan banana bread to the dessert list. Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread, Vegan Banana Brownies, Vegan Banana Oat Muffins..the list goes on!
I grew up eating the classic kind at least monthly. My mom was the dessert queen. I guarantee she's gonna love this version, too!
- Whole wheat pastry flour: So fluffy! I love using this flour in quick breads because it gives you the 100% whole grain benefit including fiber, antioxidants, and energizing. vitamins without the super "wheaty" taste of whole grain flour.
- Banana: Use the ripest bananas you have to get the most natural sweetness bang for your buck. Mine were pretty much black. It's cool! Measure out 1 ½ cups the banana after you mash it as bananas greatly vary in size. I find that frozen bananas are too liquidy so I don't recommend going that route.
- Sugar: We're keeping it simple with sugar but you can also use coconut sugar or brown sugar. Maple syrup works beautifully as well if you're looking for a more natural sweetener.
- Non-dairy milk: I used unsweetened vanilla almond. We're adding a splash of vinegar for that buttermilk effect. Lemon juice also works.
- Oil: Any neutral flavored oil is great here--avocado, melted coconut oil, etc.
- Vanilla and cinnamon: To enhance the banana bread flavor. You can omit the cinnamon if you're not a fan but I love the warmth it adds.
- Chocolate chips: I pretty much live for chocolate chips, but you can leave them out if that's your jam. You could also use walnuts! Cost saving tip: I like to get the big bag of dairy-free chocolate chips from Costco (you can buy them on Amazon, too).
See recipe card for full list of ingredients and exact quantities.
Substitutions and dietary modifications
- Gluten free: Use a 1:1 all purpose baking flour (not almond or coconut flour).
- Nut free: Use oat or soy milk.
- Flour: You can easily use all purpose flour or spelt flour. I've also tested this with half all purpose and half whole wheat and it was perfect in case you can't find whole wheat pastry flour!
- Sweetener: I've tested this recipe with ⅓ cup maple syrup instead of cane sugar and it works great if you prefer to use a more unrefined sweetener. You'll just have to bake it longer since it's wetter.
How to make (step by step directions)
We're using classic pantry staples to make this simple, fluffy loaf. No egg substitutes required!
- Make vegan buttermilk by mixing milk and vinegar.
- Mash bananas then add sugar, oil, vanilla, and milk.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour wet into dry and mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased loaf pan, bake for about an hour and 10 minutes, cool and dig in!
Expert tips for success
- Use the ripest bananas around for the best banana flavor. Dark brown and spotty is ideal!
- Don't over-mix the batter. Lumps are your friend so you don't overdevelop the gluten. This loaf is nice and fluffy versus dense.
- Jazz it up with your favorite add-ins! Chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, coconut, extra cinnamon....YUM.
- Give your loaf pan a good spray or line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Let the bread cool a bit before removing it from the pan for perfect slicing.
Can I use frozen bananas?
Yes you can use frozen bananas, but be sure to fully thaw them at room temperature, drain any of the excess liquid, and then measure.
You may need to use a bit more bananas if you use frozen.
How to store
The best place to store banana bread is on the countertop in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
If you still have some left to munch on, you can store in the fridge for up to 1 week or more and it will stay moist.
Can I freeze bread?
Indeed! Simply wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to 4 months.
You can thaw it on the counter at room temp or reheat the microwave for 30 seconds when you’re ready to eat.
More vegan desserts
Please let me know how this vegan banana bread recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment!
OH MAN. Your house is about to smell soooooo good.Print
Super Moist Whole Grain Vegan Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Banana Bread that's 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and super simple banana bread recipe that will quickly become a favorite. See notes for gluten free options. Delicious with my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting!
- ¼ cup non dairy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups very overripe bananas*
- ½ cup organic cane sugar**
- ¼ cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Measure out bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add sugar or syrup, oil, and vanilla, whisking to combine. Stir in milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay). Fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes for maple syrup version), or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it's getting too browned, quickly slide a piece of tin foil on top after 50 minutes. Once done, carefully remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
*equals about 3 medium bananas, but be sure to measure since size varies!
**can sub ⅓ cup maple syrup
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Do not substitute almond flour or coconut flour for the whole wheat flour; they are not even substitutes and your banana bread will not turn out. For a gluten-free version, readers have had success with 2 cups of 1:1 GF baking flour OR 1 ½ GF baking flour + ½ cup almond flour. Or try my Best Gluten Free Banana Bread!
Keywords: vegan banana bread, healthy banana bread
Leave a comment & rating!