The most delicious Apple Crumb Pie that happens to be vegan! Everyone will rave about this crave-worthy pie. Simple to make and great for holidays!
For the crust (or use a prepared pie crust):
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 6 medium to large apples (7-8 cups or about 2.5 lbs) peeled and thinly sliced (I like using a mix of sweet and tart like Honeycrisp or Gala and Granny Smith)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 3 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the crumb topping:
- Preheat oven to 425F and spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Combine crust ingredients in a mixing bowl. You can roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a large round or press dough ball directly into pie dish so it covers the bottoms and sides.
- Combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Place in unbaked pie crust, leaving any extra juice in the bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, make crumble by mixing together flour, pecans, coconut sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add coconut oil and use your fingers to combine until you reach a sandy, crumbly texture. It will look dry. Top apples with crumble, patting it down onto the pie. If your pie is super full, you can place it on a baking sheet.
- Bake pie for for 15 minutes at 425F. Loosely cover pie with foil to prevent crust from burning, then reduce heat to 350F and bake for another 45-55 minutes. You can poke the center of the pie to make sure the apples are fully softened.
- Let pie cool completely on a wire rack (3 hours) before slicing so the juices firm up. Store any leftovers loosely wrapped at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Adapted from this Classic Apple Crumb Pie.
*If you use all tart apples like Granny Smith, I'd increase the sugar in the crumb topping to 1/2 cup.
MAKE IN ADVANCE: This pie tastes great the next day, so you can easily make it the day before serving. Pie can be stored at room temperature for up to two days. You can reheat room temperature pie at 325F for about 20 minutes before serving if desired.
TO FREEZE: Store baked and cooled pie in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and let pie come to room temperature before serving. (The filling can also be frozen for to 3 months.)