- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- In a medium pot over medium heat, sauté onions for about seven minutes, stirring often.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic and bell pepper and sautee for about seven more minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the spices and cook a minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes (do not drain), beans and vegetable broth. Bring to a bowl. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for at least 30 minutes (preferably an hour for the best flavor).