These Spring Veggie Bowls are a tasty, simple meal packed with plant protein from roasted veggies, chickpeas, whole grains, and a tasty cilantro lime crema.
This shit is bananas.
What ever happened to Gwen Stefani? What a gem she was. Is.
I’m having a moment with these here bowls. I’ve learned from much experience that the following combination is a dreamboat every single time: whatever grain I have on hand (this time it was Bob’s spelt berries—so chewy and fab), a pan of roasty toasty veg + chickpeas all slathered in a creamy herby sauce with some peppery arugula.
All layered and fancy-like. With a gold fork on the side.
You should also totally make Sarah’s Roasted Mushroom Vegetable Bowls too because her shrooms are the best thing I’ve ever laid mouth on.
Speaking of garbanzos, CAN WE NOT WITH THE ARTICLES ABOUT LEGUMES BEING BAD FOR YOU. Imagine me jumping as high as I possibly could and then add three feet to that.
That’s the “here” I’ve had it up to with the media and their delusional diatribes on the next best fatal food. Believe me when I say there’s a new one every twelve seconds.
I feel like I haven’t written a recipe in a while. It felt kind of foreign photographing this today. Is that weird? Do you guys feel the same? AM I ON MY WAY OUT?!
I’m trying to roll with it when I feel distant from the webosphere so that when I put out content it gives you all the feels and doesn’t scare you away.
Except that one time I bottled up all my sass and let it loose in that silly unicorn post which was just my most views in one day EVERRRRR. No big deal.
K I’m back. So I’m usually all about cashews when it comes to creamy sauces but given the fact that a) they’re kinda pricey and b) I was all out, I resorted to the humble sunflower seed. Go for the raw ones in the bulk section if you can.
I’ve also whipped up many a crema using pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) so rest assured that it’ll taste good with all of the above.
This sauce is a dream so be sure to blend it completely so it lives up to its full potential. If it tastes grainy, keep blending. The longer you can soak the seeds beforehand, the better.
I’ve been adding Tobasco chipotle sauce (like the kind you steal from Chipotle) and liquid smoke to all the things lately. I think it’s my body’s way of coping with not having a grill. Or a patio to house said grill.
I like to keep the cilantro lime crema in a little jar with the roasted veggies and grains on the side for easy packable lunches. True life: I ate this in the car last week in the parking lot out of sheer hanger and it was kind of [unsafe] and thrilling and amazeballs.
Bam boom zoom legume.Print
These Spring Veggie Bowls are a complete meal in a bowl packed with roasted vegetables, whole grains, and a creamy and addictive cilantro lime crema. Vegan and gluten-free!
For the bowls:
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed and chopped in half
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 1 cup grain of choice (I used spelt berries, can sub quinoa, rice, farro, etc.)
- arugula, for serving
For the cilantro lime crema:
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds (can sub cashew or pepitas)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, packed
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- splash of liquid smoke (optional but delish)
- Place sunflower seeds in a bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a Silipat or parchment paper. Place asparagus, pepper, sweet potato, and chickpeas on baking sheet. Season with olive oil and a good pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, tossing to combine. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, cook your grains. Use frozen brown rice for a quick option!
- Make the crema by placing all ingredients in a blender (I used my Nutribullet) and blending until completely smooth and creamy.
- Assemble bowls by placing grains at the bottom topped with fresh arugula and veggie mixture plus plenty of cilantro lime crema. Garnish with green onions.