Zucchini is what every vegetable lives its whole life striving to be.
Versatile. Tasty. Inexpensive. Charming. Easy on the eyes. Easy on the nose.
It's kind of weird because while zucchini tastes mighty fine on its own, you can pretty much shove it into anything you please without ever noticing it was even there. It's quite the surreptitious green veg if I do say so myself.
I know you've heard of "zoats." The health junkie world has gone bonkerpants over fluffing up their oatmeal with zucchini galore. Must be a millennial thing. Did you know you can even freeze zuch slices and toss them in your smoothie for extra creaminess?
But wait, there's more.
You can put it into muffins. Duh. BUT NOT JUST THE SWEET KIND, YO.
If you've read my blog for longer than eleven seconds, you probably know that I have a mild [yet serious] almond meal obsession. Hence: Blue Diamond sriracha almond meal.
Because like, why the heck not?
Raise your hand if you think flour made of sriracha spiced almonds doesn't sound like the best idea since legalizing same sex marriage. I don't see any hands. Yeah, I thought so.
I'm proud of the boldness of these almonds like I'm proud of the boldness of progressive America. Cue the Lee Greenwood.
But seriously. I'm proud to watch history in the making, to live in a country where outlawing same sex marriage is a thing of the past. I'm proud that we as a country recognize that the world is not flat, that woman do indeed deserve to vote, and that it's the constitutional right of ALL people to love who they want to love.
And if that person resembles a jazzed up savory muffin loaded with oodles of zucchini, then so be it.
...because I kind of wanna marry these. Love wins!Print
A delightful savory spin on the classic zucchini muffin, free of butter and refined flour!
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water (or 2 eggs)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated + water squeezed out
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup Sriracha Blue Diamond Almonds, ground into flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to "gel."
- Chop ends off and grate zucchini. Place in a strainer or seive to drain.
- Place sriracha almonds in food processor or blender (I used my nutribullet) and pulse until a flour is formed. Don't over-process or the mixture will become too moist. You can also pulse oats to make oat flour if you don't have pre-made oat flour.)
- Place oat flour, almond flour, sriracha almond flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine. If you need to use your fingers to break up the almond meal, that's fine!
- Add flax mixture, almond milk, and coconut oil. Stir until just combined. Use your hands to squeeze out any extra water from the zucchini. Fold in zucchini and green onions.
- Spoon into muffin tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
[Tweet "Snack smarter, not harder. Savory #Vegan Zucchini Muffins via @TheHummusapien #ad @BlueDiamond"]
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Hummusapien possible!