If I were to be reincarnated as a salad and it happened to be twenty degrees outside, I would surely be re-birthed as this beaut.
It just speaks my language!
For my final #MakeYourMove recipe with Kohl’s, I wanted to feature a rustic, simple, cozy, elegant, and downright delectable salad that doubles as a full meal. One that would impress herbies and carnivores alike. After all, we’re approaching a new year and there’s never been a better time to put the healthy hat on! Side note—if you’ve never had roasted potatoes nestled in a salad, you’re in for quite a treat.
And there’s something about rosemary…the way it smells, the way it tastes…it gives me all the feels.
If you’re one of those bad eggs that loathes rosemary, you can go eat some gingerbread while we all swan dive into the land of love lettuce that is this salad.
When I eat salad, I like it to be complete. I don’t want mixed greens with balsamic and cucumbers. I want fiber and protein and crunch and pizzaz! This salad has sass. A salad after my own heart. With high-protein lentils, brain-boosting walnuts, earthy shrooms and taters, and aromatic rosemary, this dish is just dripping with all the fantastic adjectives.
When Hummusapien gives you a great excuse to eat potatoes and call it salad, you take it and you run with it. Run far, far away.
An rustic winter kale salad packed with toasty walnuts, earthy mushrooms, lentils, and a tangy shallot dressing.
For the roasted vegetables:
- 3 small to medium russet potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped rosemary (optional, still tastes great without it!)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
For the salad:
- 2 bunches kale (I like lacinato), stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I used Trader Joe’s pre-cooked)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup champagne wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place chopped potatoes in large bowl with rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Dump potatoes on baking sheet and spread out in an even layer.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes (or until tender), stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and add sliced mushrooms and walnuts. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until everything is browned.
- Meanwhile, place dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor (I used my Nutribullet) and blend until smooth.
- Dump kale into a large bowl. Add dressing and massage into leaves for about a minute (if using lacinato, massaging is not necessary.) Add lentils and baked potato mixture. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
[Tweet “Veg out! Rosemary Roasted Potato, Mushroom, and Lentil Kale Salad via @TheHummusapien @kohls #ad #MakeYourMove”]
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Kohl’s.