This post is sponsored by Bird’s Eye®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’m so totally hopelessly utterly grill-less.
Like, without a grill.
Never have I ever grilled anything. Not on a real grill nor on one of those nifty little grill pans. The funny thing is that I grew up eating grilled thangs on a weekly basis. BBQ chicken, flank steak, burgers, you name it…we grilled it. When I think of grilling, I think of more than just a method of cooking food. I think of my grandparents. I think of fireflies and flowers and fireworks and the fourth of July. I think of the juiciest watermelon and the fluffiest marshmallows. I think of that charred summery smell that I love more than any other smell in the world.
Grilling brings on some of the finest nostalgia, dontcha think?
We’re in contract for a house and one of the things I’m most excited for (besides the kitchen, of course) is surprisingly the backyard. Why? Because it means gathering. The yard includes a deck that will eventually house, among the table and chairs and other necessities for said gathering, a grill! I can’t freaking wait to hang with my gal pals on the deck in the summer months with an adult bev or three in hand and finally learn to grill. All I want is to bask in the glory of that sweet smoky goodness all summer long.
So since I’m without a grill at the moment and can’t offer you a grilled veggie pasta salad, we’re left with a roasted veggie pasta salad that’s just as nomtastical if not better as the one I was hoping to make. It’s delish and tangy and filling and satisfying on so many levels. The hearts of palm are a unique addition that I love for their soft texture and briney flavor. You can certainly leave them out, but I do encourage you to live on the wild side and give ’em a try. If you’re unfamiliar with them, they taste kind of like artichoke hearts. So yummy!
What makes this roasted veggie pasta salad awesome is that a) it’s super versatile, meaning you can really use whatever veggies you fancy, b) it’s popular among all taste buds, young and old, and c) it’s PACKED with plant-powered protein and fiber because….I have a secret. The pasta is made with lentils and zucchini! Isn’t that dreamy? Bird’s Eye® Steamfresh® Veggie Made™ Zucchini Lentil Pasta Original is the bees knees, people. Each serving of pasta provides a full serving of veggies. With no artificial ingredients and a totally delightful texture, it’s a pretty superb way to get the fam to eat more veggies.
I love that you can basically knock out your veggie quota for the day with this one dish. As soon as I saw this dream veg pasta at Kroger I just knew I had to whip up a delish summery dish with it. Mission accomplished!
If you’re one of those lucky people who actually owns a grill, feel free to fire it up rather than roasting the veggies in the oven. Maybe some grilled peaches or pineapple with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert? OMG I’m getting so excited.
Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
This summery roasted veggie pasta salad made with zucchini lentil pasta is bursting with fresh flavor for all your outdoor gathering needs! Vegan and gluten-free.
For the roasted veggies:
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced into half moons
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the pasta salad:
- 2–10oz pkgs Bird’s Eye® Steamfresh® Veggie Made™ Zucchini Lentil Pasta Original*
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silipat.
- Spread veggies in an even layer on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and spices and roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place pasta in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients (including roasted veggies), stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled.
*This pasta has a light olive oil sauce so I didn’t add extra oil to the recipe. If you’re using regular pasta, add 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or to taste.