Hi again friends! I am beyond excited to have my good friend Julia of The Roasted Root here to share some uber delicious eats with you all today while I’m in Italy eating allllll the pizza. Her recipes are the bomb dot com–I actually went on a spree and made like three of them a couple weeks ago! And did I mention that she’s a two time cookbook author?! I mean she’s a total celeb. In fact, I’ll be giving away her most recent beauty, Let Them Eat Kale, when I get back from Europe! Enjoy!
Well howdy, Hummusapiens! I’m Julia from The Roasted Root and I’m stepping in for a hot minute while Alexis is touring Europe! Can we just all give her a round of applause for finishing her RD exam and being the radiant, positive, amazing woman she is? And can we also talk about her food? Because we all know it’s incredible!
I’m certified obsessed with Alexis’s Butternut Squash Salad with Maple Orange Dressing and just about turned orange after eating my weight in Maple Orange Mashed Sweet Potatoes. An Alexis recipe is a bangarang recipe, and we should all do ourselves a favor and live off of Hummusapien food forevermore.
Today, I’m happy to offer a little sumthin’ sumthin’ to the collection of yum that’s going on up in here. Today, I give thee roasted vegetable tacos with cumin cashew cream. This is how we make our dreams come true.
These tacos? They’re easy like Sunday morning. All it takes is a little chopping, a little roasting and a little creaming for a flavor fiesta. I know, I know. It’s July, and I’m all, “fire up your ovens, my babies, we’ve got some roasting to do!” as if it’s not hot enough already in your home. But I assure you, these tacos are 200% worth the heat. Do it for your health, happiness, and the satisfaction of a taco-filled belly. Do it for the cauliflower. Ah heck, do it for the cumin cashew crema.
Can we just shine the light on the cumin cashew crema for 8.7 seconds? If you’ve never made cashew cream, do that ish like pronto! You basically just soak cashews in water until they get all sogged out, then throw them in your blender with some other tasty ingredients (cumin, lime, anyyyything!) in order to make a creamy vegan sauce that works miracles in your face hole.
These tacos can feed a crowd, so make them when you have company! Thanks for having me, Alexis and Hummusapiens! Until we meet again. . .
For the Roasted Vegetable Tacos:
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, chopped into ½” cubes
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 1–1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Cumin Cashew Crema:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons water*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Corn tortillas
- *if needed, add a little more water to help blend the cashew cream
To prepare the Cumin Cashew Crema:
- Pour the raw cashews in a bowl and cover them with water. Allow them to soak for at least 4 hours (you can leave them overnight, if desired).
- Drain the water from the cashews and add them to a small blender (such as a magic bullet) or food processer. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. If you need to add a tablespoon or two of additional water in order to help the mixture blend, you can do so. Taste the crema and add more salt or lime juice if desired.
- Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
To Roast the Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and chop all of the vegetables, then arrange them evenly on two large baking sheets.
- Whisk together the oil, chili powder, cumin and salt until well combined.
- Drizzle the oil mixture over the vegetables and use your hand to toss all the vegetables together to be sure everything is coated.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 40 to 45 minutes, or until vegetables reach desired done-ness. Stir the vegetables halfway and three quarters of the way through baking.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- Wrap corn tortillas in a moist paper towel and microwave them 20 to 30 seconds, or until hot. You can also wrap them in foil and put them in the oven to heat them up.
- Add desired amount of roasted vegetables, avocado, and cumin cashew crema to each tortilla.
- Serve with beans and rice and cilantro.