Oh how glorious these cookies have made my mornings as of late.
I have a problem. I am on time next to never.
No matter how much earlier I wake up or if I set my clothes out the night before like a third grader or if I have my lunchbox all ready to go…it doesn’t make a difference. Hi, my name’s Hummus, and I’m chronically unpunctual.
Lately I’ve been waking up around 6am, enjoying a cup or three of joe, and knocking out some blog work nice and early in the day. I like being less rushed in the morning, and I really enjoy the sense of accomplishment I feel hacking away at my never ending blog to-do list before heading to Alchemy.
But even being up that early, I still struggle to get to work as early as I’d like to. It’s like even when I get up at the crack of dawn, I fill my time with other things rather than being prompt for the dentist or the car appointment or the Alchemy meeting or whatever it is. But I promise you, I’m working on it.
I’m really working on it!
Because I hate when people are late. It’s rude. Everyone is busy and everyone’s time is valuable. So then there’s these perfectly sweet, moist, vegan and gluten-free Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies packed with hearty whole grain oats, my go-to Bob’s Red Mill almond meal, little coconut flakes, shredded carrot, overripe banana, crunchy walnuts, my fave saigon cinnamon…the ingredient list goes on. Showing up late with these cookies is far better than showing up late without these cookies. Ya dig?
You all know that my almond meal obsession runs deep. I use it in pretty much every single baked good I post. Why? Because a) almonds are incredible healthy, b) it adds amazing texture and moistness and c) it’s lower in carbohydrates and higher in fat and protein than traditional flour, making these cookies a hearty snack with more staying power.
What I really love is that I can find Bob’s everywhere now, from Kroger and Whole Foods to, hello….Target! I go in for toilet paper, black socks, and deodorant and I leave with a potentially too trendy pair of overalls and three bags of Bob’s muesli and steel-cut oats. I like to call that WINNING.
They’re portable and poppable and perfect and for those reasons and more, they’re been my obsession (warmed in the micro for like 7 seconds) paired with a chilly glass of almond milk or a hot cup of java when I’m flying out the door late to the three things I said I wouldn’t be late to that morning.
Cookies for breakfast puts me in a splendid mood. Cookies after work also put me in a splendid mood. And cookies before bed….I mean I’m having the sweetest dreams like, EVER.Print
Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Muffins, Bites, and Bars
Hearty cookies packed with whole grain oats, banana, walnuts, carrots, and cranberries for the perfect on-the-go breakfast or afternoon pick me up!
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (or ground flax) + 3 tbsp water
- 1 medium very over-ripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour (you can make your own by grinding oats in the blender, use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- ½ cup old fashioned oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together chia and water. Set aside.
- Place banana in a medium mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract, stirring to combine. Stir in chia and water mixture.
- Add almond meal, oat flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in walnuts, shredded carrot, coconut, and cranberries.
- Using wet hands, roll mixture into 16 medium to large balls of “dough”. They will a bit wet and sticky–that’s ok! Wet hands again to pat down cookies until they look round and smooth. Lightly flatten with hands. They won’t spread very much.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store cooled cookies in an air-tight container in the fridge.
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging
[Tweet “Treat yo’self! #Vegan Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies @TheHummusapien @BobsRedMill #ad”]
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Hummusapien possible!