Mexican Hot Chocolate Truffles are the perfect healthy no bake snack made with staples like oats and walnuts. Quick and easy!
I am so freaking excited for you to sink your pearly whites into these insanely decadent and divinely delish bites of vegan and gluten free chocolate glory!
It's like a no-bake bite meets a chewy, spicy dark chocolate cookie meets a truffle meets hot chocolate. Except they're not hot. But they have that crazy good chocolatelyness, if you will. You know what I meeeeeeean.
I've posted a fair number of no-bake bites on the blog. I had a phase where they were mostly made with coconut flour and protein powder. While those are fabulous and have the texture of cakey perfection, I realize that those aren't ingredients everyone has in their kitch.
These dreams (cue Heart's 1985 one hit wonder) are made with wholesome pantry staples that you likely already have on speed dial like oats, walnuts, and cinnamon. Using a mixture of oats and walnuts rather than entirely nuts makes these a bit lighter, which we can all appreciate considering the fact that they're addicting. I dare you to eat just one.
They're also super quick and easy!
I highly recommend you store them in the freezer and let them sit for 10 minutes or so at room temperature before digging in, but they'll taste unreal no matter how you store them. If they even make it to storage...
Feel free to add a scoop of protein powder (and likely another couple tablespoons of almond milk) if you fancy. I used raw cacao, which is a less processed, more antioxidant-packed version of cocoa powder, but both will work great. If you can really handle the heat, go a bit heavier on the cayenne. J
ust be careful because that's some powerful stuff. It won't hit you till you've taken a couple bites and then you'll be all like "ummmmm donde está the hose?"
The best part about these Raw Mexican Hot Chocolate Truffles is that they're totally vegan, gluten-free, and void of refined sugar so they double as a baller snack or satisfying post-dinner (or pre-dinner?) treat. And if you want to eat them for breakfast, that's just dandy too.
Grab and go! Bye.Print
Mexican Hot Chocolate Bites are the perfect healthy no bake snack made with staples like oats and walnuts. Quick and easy!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- 12 soft pitted Medjool dates (about ¾ cup, soak in warm water if hard)
- 3 tbsp cocao powder (plus more for rolling)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- heaping ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk, as needed
- Place oats and walnuts in the bowl of a large food processor. Process until well-combined. Add dates and process for another minute or so, or until well combined.
- Add cacao, flax, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt, and process again for another minute. Add a tablespoon of almond milk as needed to form a "dough ball."
- Roll into about 14 bites. Roll each bite in cocao powder. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. I like them best from the freezer!
Keywords: mexican hot chocolate bites