Friends, it's been far too long. So much has happened since I last wrote a personal post back in June.
We welcomed our sweet baby, Charlie Grey, on June 27th. Luckily it was a pretty smooth induction at 39 weeks and an easy delivery. To say he's been the purest form of joy would be an understatement. We couldn't be more in love with our new guy!
Two days before I gave birth, my brother Greg passed away unexpectedly. I'd never before experienced such opposite worlds colliding....death and birth. Becoming a family of four, twice. It was and is absolutely devastating.
Charlie's middle name is in memory of my brother, who would've turned 36 right after Charlie was born.
Greg had a huge heart, a celebrity smile, and a larger than life personality. We miss him every day.
The world has been such a heavy place, both personally and far beyond me.
Food has always been a safe haven for me. I can get lost cooking and I can be fully present, an escape I am grateful for now more than ever.
At his best, my brother was vivacious and passionate about health and fitness. I think of him when I make nourishing meals for my family. I know he would've loved my boys so much.
Is there anything more soul-hugging than freshly baked banana bread?
The coziest cream of mushroom wild rice soup for lunches I really look forward to.
I'm in a place where I make my pumpkin brownies once a week because as soon as we polish them off I'm craving another batch...double batch time!
I've been super into these pumpkin sheet pan pancakes. I used whole wheat flour, 1 scant cup pumpkin, 2 eggs, added 2 tsp cinnamon, and no pecans.
We hosted a little brunch with friends for the football game and I served the best blueberry muffins, lox, and little eggs cups.
Fried eggs, pita with avocado, and zhoug that I want to slather on everything.
Such a lovely fall farro salad! I use Trader Joe's 10-minute farro, pre-chopped squash and shredded Brussels so this came together pretty quickly.
Oatmeal cinnamon raisin breakfast bars on my way out the door.
Shawarma night! I love eating a bunch of different things. I used this chicken recipe, tahini yogurt sauce from the Love and Lemons cookbook, roasted eggplant, microwave rice, pickled onions, pita, and veggies. (More work than I usually put into dinner but worth it!)
A very random but delish salad with spinach, cabbage, grapes, avocado, Trader Joe's pre-cooked lentils and sesame dressing (SO good), and Thai lime chili almonds.
Love my buddha bowls with peanut sauce! We're relying heavily on Target's Good and Gather microwave rice, I cannot lie.
Pizza Friday! This is from Redeemer which is delish but our new favorite place is Dough Counter, which is Sicilian but really reminds us of our favorite Detroit-style pizza from Columbus.
Stuff I'm Loving Lately
- I am living in these indoor/outdoor Ugg slip-ons. A true life-saver when I have to run out of the house with the kiddos! They feel like walking on a cloud and they're 20% off.
- I randomly found Mark Kroos on Spotify and his calming, happy music has really helped me grieve my brother.
- I'm obsessed with root beer Olipop. Jeff and I drink one every night with dinner. It's the little things!
- These vegan cookie dough protein bars are my obsession (I've ordered this flavor alone 9 times per Amazon, lol).
- I just got these black platform boots, so cute! Target has a BOGO 50% sale on boots right now, so I also got these adorable snow boots for Max.
- This romper was my uniform in pregnancy and I still reach for it all the time because it's so easy and comfy.
- I've heard great things about this cozy half-zip and there's a 20% off coupon, just ordered!
- Rosehip seed oil is my favorite skin care product lately, and it's under $10! I use it every night (and some mornings) as the last step of my skin care routine and my face is so soft, clear and glowy. I also attribute the clarity to my favorite gentle exfoliant which I use a few times a week (also obsessed with Eminence's serums and moisturizers).
Hug your loved ones tight, and have a lovely week.