The most comforting soup in all the land! This super easy and healthy Instant Pot Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup is the ultimate cold-weather meal. See recipe notes for stovetop version.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 medium onion), diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot (4 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery (4 ribs celery)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (2 cups, add more if you love mushrooms!)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice (do not use a blend)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (sub tamari for gluten free)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with very hot water and let soak while you make the recipe.
- Place remaining ingredients except soy sauce and spinach in the Instant Pot. Cook on manual, high pressure for 40 minutes. Note that it takes ~10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure before it starts cooking and counting down. Once it’s done, carefully quick release any remaining steam using the valve on top. Remove the lid and turn the machine off.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Place in blender (I used my Nutribullet) with 1 cup water and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Stir into soup along with soy sauce and spinach. Serve with crusty bread or croutons, of course!
Stovetop version: Follow step 1 and then sauté in olive oil the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and salt in a dutch oven over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add spices, wild rice, and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Proceed with step three.