Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with garlic and cream cheese are super creamy and rich yet so easy to make! Done in 20 minutes, they make the perfect holiday side dish. (Check the recipe notes for stovetop version. Recipe can be doubled using the same 12 minute cook time.)
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes (about 5 medium/large), peeled and chopped into large chunks or rounds
- 1 3/4 tsp course kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 4oz cream cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives, for serving
- Add potatoes and 1 tsp salt to Instant Pot and cover with cold water. Cook on high pressure (press "pressure cook") for 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will warm up for about 10 minutes before it starts cooking. After the 10 minutes is up, quick-release any remaining pressure by flipping the release valve to “venting."
- Meanwhile, place half and half, cream cheese, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the cream cheese and stir mixture constantly until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside. It will thicken and look clumpy as it cools, that's normal.
- Drain potatoes and return to Instant Pot. Give them a quick mash and then add cream mixture, remaining 3/4 tsp kosher salt (more to taste), and a few grinds of pepper. Mash until smooth. Top with chives and serve!
- Use 1 cup half and half if you like thinner potatoes.
- Recipe can be doubled using the same 12 minute cook time.
Stovetop Variation: Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place in large pot with 1 tsp salt and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and return to pot, then proceed with step 2 and 3.