Creamy and comforting Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower that taste just like traditional mashed potatoes! An easy, healthy side packed with veggies that the whole family will love. See Notes section for stovetop instructions. Serve with the cozy vegan gravy.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds (3 pounds, I like half Yukon and half russet)
- 1 medium-large head cauliflower, cored and roughly chopped (1 1/2 pounds florets)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice* (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 cup butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes and cauliflower in the Instant Pot. Add 3 cups water and sprinkle with 1 tsp kosher salt.
- Seal lid and cook on Manual, High Pressure for 10 minutes. (Note that it will take ~10 minutes to come to pressure before it starts counting down.) Quick release remaining pressure. Drain vegetables and return to Instant Pot.
- Add milk, butter, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a couple spoonful of yogurt for extra tang or a handful of grated Parmesan cheese. Use a potato masher to mash until you reach your desired consistency, or for extra creamy potatoes, whip them in a stand mixer or in a bowl using electric beaters. Taste and add salt if needed (I added another 1/2 tsp since some of the salt gets drained). Garnish with fresh thyme, parsley, or chives. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for three-four days.
STOVETOP: Add potatoes and cauliflower to a large pot. Add enough water or broth to fully cover the vegetables and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables and return to pot. Continue with step 4 in the above recipe.
*MILK: Whole milk, 2%, half and half, or a neutral, unsweetened and unflavored non-dairy milk all work (almond, rice, oat, soy, etc). I would not recommend coconut milk due to the strong flavor. The higher fat milk you use, the creamier they’ll be.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Use vegan butter like Earth Balance and non-dairy milk.
For a more decadent version, try my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cream Cheese and Garlic.
You can cook the potatoes in broth instead of water for even more flavor!