Made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with molasses and pure maple syrup, this healthy vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread with Maple Glaze is the perfect warm and spicy treat!
For the gingerbread:
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the maple glaze:
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp softened vegan butter
- 1–2 tsp almond milk (more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 5x9inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside to thicken. Meanwhile, combine almond milk and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pumpkin, molasses, maple syrup, melted vegan butter, vanilla extract, flax mixture, and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for one hour.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on cooling rack. Meanwhile, whisk together glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle cooled bread with glaze.