Check out this recipe featured on SELF Magazine’s nutrition blog!
This banana bread is like the skinniest pair of skinny jeans ever.
I mean I took a bite and almost died. And ohmygoshyouregonnadie too. It’s yummy.
First of all, your bananas should be black. BLACK. Like the kind you throw away because you think they’re too ripe. I mean they need to be at least dark brown and spotted. Let those babies ripen on the counter while you hang tight for a few days.
This banana bread doesn’t have any oil or butter or lard or added sugar–whatever. Who wants to eat this healthy stuff on national-stuff-your face-with-overrated-milk -chocolate-day anyway? Since eating healthy desserts today would be nothing short of a crime, we’re eating ridiculously moist and perfect banana bread made with almonds, oats, bananas, applesauce, dark chocolate, strawberries and other wholesome goodies instead. But no one said anything about being healthy. It doesn’t taste healthy, anyway. So shhhh. Secret. Period.
I know February is supposed to be all romantic and whatnot, but is it just me or did this holiday stop being cool once we were deemed too old to come to school with those shoebox valentine holders? I mean I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss those jaw-breaker red heart lollipops and boxes of stale conversation hearts.
Apparently the newest sweethearts say “LOL”, so it’s a good thing I haven’t been gifted a box in a while. If you know me at all, you know my sentiments about saying LOL. It’s like Voldemort. He who shall not be named. Yikes.
So maybe today is Valentine’s Day. The thing is, you actually don’t need a hubby, sweetie, honeybuns, babe or doll to buy you overrated milk chocolate because I already got you dark chocolate covered strawberries.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Strawberry Banana Bread (gluten-free)Print
Dark Chocolate Chunk Strawberry Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very overripe bananas (3 medium bananas)
- 4 oz container unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup rolled oats ground into a flour in food processor
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 6–8 packets of stevia (or 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan liberally with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients (bananas through vanilla) until very well mixed. In a separate medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (everything else except strawberries and chocolate).
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir just until mixed.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and strawberries.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. Bread will be very moist, that’s ok!
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging
Be mine. Call me. Ur gr8. XOXO.