This tasty Crunchy Thai Salad with Creamy “Peanut” Dressing is packed with crisp veggies and a simple allergy-free “peanut” sauce that will have everyone begging for seconds! Vegan and gluten-free.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (can sub peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tamari (certified GF if necessary)
- 3 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water, or more to thin
For the salad:
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, shredded (I used 1 large head)
- 1/2 head cabbage. or 1 (12-ounce) bag
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I used roasted cashews)
- To prepare the dressing: In a high-speed blender, combine the seed butter, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, tamari, honey or maple syrup, garlic, ginger, salt, red pepper flakes, and water and blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, and sunflower seeds. Pour the dressing over the top and toss well to coat. Serve immediately. This salad will wilt rather quickly after its dressed, so if you want to save a portion for later, store the salas and dressing separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reprinted with permission from No Excuses Detox, copyright © 2017 by Megan Gilmore, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photography copyright © 2017 by Erin Scott