Cozy up with a bowl of this luxuriously thick and creamy Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup! Packed with veggies, this easy healthy soup makes the best lunch on a chilly day.
Last weekend I had the best fall produce in all the land at my fingertips thanks to our lovely CSA box. With the brightest, most crisp head of cauliflower and broccoli staring at me with puppy dog eyes, I knew a cozy fall soup was on the horizon. And perhaps a batch of Pumpkin Bars for good measure, obviously.
My Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup has been a fall and winter favorite around here for years, complete with a silky smooth cashew cream to take it to a whole other level of texture and flavor satisfaction. But since so many creamy vegan soups call for cashews, I wanted to make a recipe that tasted creamy and cheezy sans nuts. The cheeziness in this soup recipe comes from the nutritional yeast (high in vitamin B12 and protein) and the lemon juice, which adds much needed brightness and tang. Don’t skip it! Oh and let’s keep this between us, but if I don’t have fresh lemons, I use bottled organic lemon juice for convenience. Shhhhhh.
The thick-n-creaminess in this Broccoli Cauliflower Soup comes from a more traditional method of using flour. We’re going back to cooking basics here, people. Any flour will do. The potato helps thicken it as well. I actually used two small red potatoes because that’s what I had. Yukon or russet are fine, too—no need to peel. Just scrub them really well to get the dirt off. (If you do decide to peel, this julienne peeler is the bomb).
Now I did use a cup of unsweetened cashew milk in this Creamy Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup for added silkiness but you could easily sub rice, oat, or soy milk instead. True story: the only milk I had in my fridge was unsweetened vanilla almond milk, so I blended a small handful of cashews with a cup of water in my Nutribullet till creamy and voila. Problem solving like a boss.
I blended half the soup in the blender and left half of it nice and chunky, which I totally prefer to a completely pureed soup. Texture texture texture! An immersion blender would be the easiest choice here, but being the good food blogger restauranteur that I am, clearly I don’t own one. I just ordered this one so I’ll let you know the verdict! Now can we talk about how DIVINE this Vegan Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup is all soaked up with a crusty baguette? UGH.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium head broccoli, finely chopped (florets and stalk, about 4 cups)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 small-medium potato, diced
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or flour of choice)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1½ tsp kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, ½ tsp salt, and a grind of pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and potato and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add flour and stir well to combine.
- Add broth, milk, nutritional yeast and another ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with salt/lemon juice to taste until the flavors really pop.
- Use an immersion blender to blend half the soup, leaving some chunky for texture. You can also blend half in a blender, being careful as the soup will be very hot!