Scrumptious whole grain Apple Waffles made in the blender with oatmeal and applesauce are the ultimate healthy breakfast recipe! Fluffy, crispy, and no added sugar--perfect for toddlers, too. Gluten free!
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I use almond milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped into small 1/4 inch pieces (Fuji, Honeycrisp, or Gala)
- Combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, applesauce, milk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter in a blender or Nutribullet. It will bubble, that's normal. Blend until smooth (about 30 seconds in the Nutribullet). Stir in apple.
- Preheat waffle maker to "medium" and let batter sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken while waffle iron heats up.
- Once hot, spray with cooking spray. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter depending on the size of your waffle maker. Cook for 5-6 minutes each, or until waffles are a deep golden brown. Once done, transfer to a cooling rack so they stay crisp. Spray iron between each waffle. Serve with butter, peanut butter, maple syrup, or apples sautéed in a bit of butter and cinnamon!
For extra crispy waffles, you can pop them in the toaster.
If you love spice, you can add 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp allspice.
DAIRY FREE: Use non-dairy milk and coconut oil.