Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread is an amazingly moist loaf studded with juicy apples, pecans and cinnamon swirl. This fall treat goes perfectly with coffee!
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups flour (I did half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple, diced small (I used Honeycrisp
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans, and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cane sugar. In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together milk, egg, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Add liquid to flour mixture, gently stirring just until combined. Fold in apple, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour half of the batter into loaf pan. Sprinkle with 2/3 of the cinnamon sugar pecan mixture. Pour remaining batter on top of the mixture, using a rubber spatula to spread it out. Top with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Use a knife to make a large swirl through the batter to marble to bread.
- Bake for for about 60-70 minutes (mine took 65 minutes), covering loosely with foil after 30 minutes to prevent the top from getting too brown. The bread is done when a knife inserted into center of the loaf comes out with a few crumbs. Cool bread on a wire rack.
Adapted from this recipe.
*Be sure to measure the 1 cup of diced apple. Using more can make the loaf too moist!
TO MAKE VEGAN: Sub a flax egg. Mix 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp warm water. Set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE: Some readers have commented that they've had success with Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 all purpose gluten free baking flour, but I have not tested it. Do not substitute other flours like almond, oat, or coconut as they will not work in this recipe.