Bananas are most definitely a staple in my life.
Have a muscle cramp? Eat a banana. Need a quick healthy snack? Eat a banana. Need a face mask? Mash up a banana.
Need a blog topic? Write about bananas.
It would not be out of character for me to go to the store just to buy spinach, bananas, eggs and almond milk. I could live on just those four things if I had to. Green smoothies, spinach scrambles…I mean there are serious possibilities. But brown bananas and I have a love hate relationship. Can’t live with ’em, can’t live without ’em.
One part of me is like, “Crap, the bananas are brown and I don’t have time to make muffins.”
Or, “Crap, the bananas are brown and I don’t know whether to make banana bread or banana pancakes.”
Or “Crap, the bananas are brown and I wanted a nice yellow ripe one for my oatmeal cold cereal.”
Or “Crap, now I need to think of recipe that’s sweetened with ugly overripe bananas.”
…Crap, the bananas are brown and I don’t have time to make muffins.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
-lightly adapted from these pancakes
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup almond milk + 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 tbsp oil (or melted Earth Balance)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- handful of chocolate chips
- Heat a large pan or griddle sprayed with cooking spray over medium to medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together ground flax and water (flax egg). Set aside to gel.
- Combine 1 tbsp vinegar with almond milk and let sit for 5 minutes to create "buttermilk."
- In a blender or food proccesor, blend oats until you reach the consistency of a course flour. In a large bowl, stir together ground oats and the rest of the dry ingredients (through salt).
- In the same food proccesor/blender, blend together wet ingredients including the banana (flax egg through vanilla).
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until JUST mixed. Fold in chocolate chips. Lumps are okay! Set batter aside for 5 minutes.
- Cook pancakes for a few minutes on each side, or until bubbles form.
As far as substitutions go, you can use whatever ratio you want of all purpose to white whole flour. If you don’t care about these being vegan, you can also use real buttermilk or dairy milk, melted butter instead of oil, and an egg or egg white instead of the flax egg. Experiment as you will!
If you read this whole post and still would prefer to make muffins instead of pancakes, you should most definitely dive head first into a batch of coconut banana muffins. Or a banana nut quinoa scramble perhaps? Or my favorite snickerdoodlicious smoothie of all time–yep, that’s definitely the best way to use up those ugly nanners.
Make. These. Now.