I absolutely love salmon.
In the oven, on the grill, under the broiler, in my mouth.
Canned wild salmon is only $2.99 at Trader Joe’s, which is super cheap compared to getting wild salmon fillets at the store. It’s a bit of a pain to remove the skin and bones, but definitely worth it. One 14.5 oz can will get you four delicious burgers.
The salmon patties are awesome because they’re a one bowl deal. You literally throw everything in a bowl, mix it up, form patties and throw them in the fridge. Making a double batch and throwing half in the fridge wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Hello, healthy fats.
I made these lovely patties for my parents last night–one plain, two with goat cheese, and one with cheddar. They were all moist and delicious. The key is refrigerating them for at least 30 minutes to an hour to allow them to firm up AND waiting till the pan is nicely oiled and hot before cooking them to get that nice brown crispy crust.
You really can throw in any veggies and cheese you like, but I love goat cheese so I was exited to incorporate them into these burgers.
I ate these without a bun, but I’m not gonna lie…when I ate it for lunch on Friday on a toasted skinny whole wheat Bruegger’s bagel with veggie cream cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion, it was unreal. Major foodgasm.
- 1 14.5 oz can of wild salmon, drained and bones/skin removed
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (or oats ground into a flour)
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 oz goat or feta cheese
- ½-1 tbsp oil
- In a large bowl, combine drained salmon (with bones removed) with all other ingredients except goat cheese and oil. Stir to combine.
- Add in crumbled goat cheese and stir to combine.
- Form mixture into four patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet with about a tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, cook patties for approximately 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown, adding more oil if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Serve and enjoy!
These are pretty darn delish served with kale chips.
Spicy sweet tater fries wouldn’t be a bad addition either. It would in fact be a very good idea.
Hope you enjoy this superfood meal as much as we did!