Once upon a time I had a hankering for spaghetti squash.
I know, I sound crazy. Who on God’s green earth craves spaghetti squash?! Real spaghetti, maybe. Squashy wannabe spaghetti, hellz nah. Well it all started with a can of fire roasted tomatoes. Blame in on the tomaters. The rest is heeeestory!
Remember that one time when everyone was in a low-carb-paleo-grain-free-gluten-hating phase? Oh ya, that’s right now. Spaghetti squash is TRENDING. Let me begin by confessing that I never eat spaghetti squash. It’s like olives and eggplant and okra. I’m totally into them, but I never really cook them at home.
Spaghetti squash is kind of stringy and weird and it may look like noodles, but it sure doesn’t taste noodles. I smell some identity issues here. The good thing is that since it doesn’t really taste like much of anything, it takes on whatever sassy sauce you feel like slathering it in.
This, my friends, is one of the simplest, tastiest, most humbelievable recipes I ever did post. This recipe is E-A-S-Y. Exquisitely, Adoringly, Satisfyingly, Yumtastical. I’m still kind of shocked about how incredibly creamy and flavorful it turned out, but I’ve learned from experience that cashews make dreams come true so I really shouldn’t be so surprised.
You could easily use whole grain pasta if you’re not feeling spaghetti squash. I think some sautéed spinach or kale or roasted tomatoes would be a delish addition as well. Alllll the green veggies for this exciting month of January!
This sauce only have five teeny tiny ingredients: diced fire roasted tomatoes, cashews, water, basil, and salt. Does it get any better than a velvety smooth tomato basil cream sauce that’s totally vegan and heart-healthy? No, it most definitely does not. (Unless you make chocolate chip pear blondie bites for dessert.)
Please faceplant into a bowl of this and call it dinner. Thanks.Print
Spaghetti Squash with Vegan Fire Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 2-3 1x
For the spaghetti squash:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- freshly ground pepper
For the tomato sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1–15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Allow them to soak for at least 2 hours or overnight. (I bring water to a boil in a tea kettle, cover the cashews with the hot water, and let them soak for 30 minutes when I’m in a hurry.)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Slice spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out seeds and stringy flesh with a spoon. Rub a teaspoon of olive oil over each half (inside, not outside). Rub with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place face down on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into strands. Heat a pan over medium heat. Place squash in a pan and cover with sauce (I used about 2/3 of the sauce and saved the rest). Toss to combine until warmed through.
- Top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes prior to serving.
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging