Sweet oatmeal is so last season.
I mean not really. But let’s pretend. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again (because I’m weird). I don’t like sweet things for breakfast unless they come in the form of pancakes or waffles. But ordering a heaping cup of white flour doused in wannabe “maple syrup” (AKA artificially flavored high-fructose corn syrup) isn’t my jam, so I’m the gal that always orders the harvest vegetable omelets with local goat cheese and poached eggs with sweet potato hash. #Weeeeeirdo.
So it makes complete sense that I don’t like sweet oatmeal in the morning, either. It’s not because I don’t want to eat a lot of sugar in the morning. While that may be true, it’s more the fact that I just could never down a whole bowl of sweet oats. Nuh uh. Not now not ever.
Eating a big bowl of oats topped with creamy avocado, salsa and drippy egg yolk may look a bit absurd at first glance, but trust me. It’s love at first bite. Now that I made it a thing, I always want it for breakfast. And then all I want for dinner is a giant baked sweet potato with salsa, avocado and fried egg. Which is kind of like the same thing. Shhhhhhh. Oh the redundancy!!
I love adding a tablespoon of chia seeds for a nice fiber boost early in the am. I try to eat a tablespoon every day, which usually makes its way into either a smoothie or a bowl of oats. Those little superfood buggers soak up water like a sponge, so if you’re leaving out the chia completely, I would stick with 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water.
You might as well consider yourself a savory oatmeal convert. I mean it’s just bound to happen. Ohhhhhhh the yolk porn….I die.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup salsa
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Diced tomato, chives and hot sauce (optional)
- Heat water and salt on high in a small saucepan. Once boiling, add oats and chia seeds. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, for about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a pan over medium heat with cooking spray/oil. Fry/cook egg to your liking.
- Place cooked oats in a bowl. Top with 1/4 of an avocado, salsa, and fried egg.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.