This thick and creamy Chocolate Orange Smoothie is packed not only with fresh citrus flavor, but also probiotics and vitamin C!
I have a next level love for chocolate covered orange things.
It’s quite the underrated combination. I used to get my dad dark chocolate covered orange peels from a local chocolate shop for literally every holiday. Birthdays, Father’s Day, Hanukkah, Thanksgiving…orange peels and orange peels only, Daddio.
I used to think they were kind of bizarre. Why would you smother an orange in chocolate when there are strawberries and bananas and salty potato chips you could dunk instead?
Now I get it.
It should come as no surprise that these very different but very universally loved flavors go together like hummus and pita, so why not make this marriage even more magical with a creamy Chocolate Orange Smoothie? Today I have the honor of introducing a new drink from Uncle Matt’s Organic that makes my heart skip a beat…fruit infused probiotic water. Is your gut swooning yet?
What is this cold pressed orange water, you ask? Is it water? Is it cold pressed juice? It it both? ‘Tis! It’s faintly sweet, super easy to drink, and loaded with great-for-you ingredients that I can’t wait to blab more about.
My favorite thing about this drink is not only that it has no added junk like refined sugar, artificial flavors, and preservatives, but also that it’s made with a probiotic called Ganeden30 that’s clinically proven to support a healthy immune and digestive system. You’ll continue to seeing tons of research in the coming months about gut health and its connection to brain activity. From migraines and anxiety to Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, researchers are finding that certain gut bacteria correlate very strongly to certain diseases.
It’s all beyond fascinating. And this is only the beginning! Alterations in the gut microbiome are also being used to treat diabetes, obesity, and multiple sclerosis. Moral of the story? We could all use more probiotics in our life! So go ahead can enjoy this hydrating bevvie in the lunchbox, after a sweaty workout, or simply sip at your leisure as you go about your biznass. If orange isn’t your thing, go for the grapefruit or lemon flavor instead.
Okay rewind. What’s the deal with the orange peel in this drink? Besides imparting some fabulous fresh flavor, orange peel is rich in a citrus flavanoid called hesperidin that has a pretty powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory profile. Winning!
One last word about this delish Chocolate Orange smoothie. I wanted it to be thick and creamy and not taste like banana. Enter frozen cauliflower. It’s going to seriously change your smoothie game. Buy the pre-frozen florets in the freezer section. I also like making this smoothie with frozen spinach for extra thickness! I love the creaminess that cashew butter adds to this smoothie as well, but a handful of raw cashews will also do the trick. Other favorites include this cacao powder, these cacao nibs for topping, and this chocolate protein powder.
And now it’s GIVEAWAY time! My friends at Uncle Matt’s Organic are giving one lucky Hummusapien reader coupons for four organic juices and five fruit-infused probiotic waters plus some Uncle Matt’s swag! This giveay is open to US residents only. The giveaway will end Friday, November 18th at 12:00pm EST. The winner will be notified via email.
TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY:
- Follow me and Uncle Matt’s on Instagram
- “Like” the picture of this smoothie and tag a friend who’d love it in the comments section
- Come back to the blog and leave a comment on this post telling me you did. (If you don’t have Instagram, simply leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite smoothie!)
Imagine your gut bacteria dancing a little jig as you drink this because trust me, they are.
- ½ cup Uncle Matt's Organic Cold Pressed Orange Water (3/4 cup if you prefer thinner smoothie)
- 1 large orange, sliced into fourths
- ½ cup frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp cashew butter (or 2 tbsp raw cashews, preferably soaked)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted (can sub 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey to sweeten as desired)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (optional)
- ½ cup frozen spinach (optional for extra thickness)
- If using cashews, place in a bowl along with dates and cover with hot water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel orange using a knife to remove most of the white pith. Drain cashews and dates and add to a high-speed blender (I use my Nutribullet) along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
This post is sponsored by Uncle Matt’s Organic. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Hummusapien possible!