Black Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups vegetables broth
- 1 cup dry black lentils*
- ½-1 cup frozen chopped spinach (may sub fresh)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium or large pot, sautee onions, carrots, celery, garlic and spices over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in vegetable broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until lentils are tender.
- Once lentils are tender, stir in spinach, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt (I probably used around ¾-1 tsp) and pepper to taste.
You should definitely grab some almond meal from TJ’s and make these paleo chocolate chunk cookies for dessert. They are out of this world. My roommates and I finished the whole batch in about a day.
Paleo aside, the lentil soup would be especially delish with a big hunk of crusty bread.